There are many benefits of fasting. Some of them are as follows:
1. It reminds us our Lord and that we are His servants.
2. It teaches us to give thanks to Allah for the bounties.
3. It teaches us to help the poor and hungry and to have compassion for them.
4. It restricts the feeling of limitless freedom of the evil commanding soul.
5. It helps us to acquire good morals.
6. It prepare us to get maximum utilization from the Qur’an
7. It brings in great rewards for hereafter.
8. It serves the human health.
9. It destroys the feeling of the pharaoh-like haughtiness of the evil commanding soul.
(Reference: Bediuzzaman Said Nursi, Letters, the treatise on Ramadan)